Duterte not keen on Manila Bay reclamation
President Rodrigo Duterte expressed qualms over the proposed reclamation projects in Manila Bay because of its possible adverse impact on the environment.
Duterte, in an exclusive interview with ABS-CBN, said the idea of reclaiming 10,000 hectares in Manila Bay is “mind-boggling”.
“If it’s an investment to infuse more money into the Philippine economy, it seems to be okay. But the hugeness of the area you are trying to reclaim to me is almost mind-boggling because (of) that entire 10,0000 hectares. It will be surely for habitation. There might be some offices and residences,” he said in an interview by dzMM on Monday.
“You have to make an audit now of whether or not the environment of the entire area there can absorb the waste and where would it go after being treated. Because now, you must have a new building. Make sure you are connected to a water treatment facility,” he added.
Around 10,000 hectares of Manila Bay from Navotas City to Cavite are supposed to undergo 25 reclamation projects.
Duterte raised the possibility that he might give his nod to the proposal to reclaim Manila Bay, if he is given assurance that the plan will not destroy the environment.
“That kind of hugeness, I said, you can be very sure that habitation will follow. There has to be a concrete showing that the environment will be protected,” he said.
“Otherwise, I would say that I do not have the wherewithal. But that big, it’s stupefying. Mukhang (Perhaps), I am not ready for that. I am not ready even to say that I will grant it, not in my time, as long as there is no guarantee that the environment will be protected and the health of the people will also be safeguarded,” Duterte added.
In December last year, Philippine Reclamation Authority general manager Joselito Gonzales said at least four reclamations projects in Manila Bay have been given the green light.
The approved projects, Gonzales said, are the Navotas City Coastal Bay Reclamation Project, Pasay 360-Hectare Reclamation Project, Pasay 265-Hectare Reclamation Project, and Horizon Manila 418–Hectare Reclamation Project.
Duterte, however, said he has not signed any document that allows the reclamation in Manila Bay.
Stressing that the “final say” must come from his office, Duterte said he would not hesitate to fire those who may be found committing irregularities for approving the proposal to reclaim Manila Bay.
“There was quarreling, something to do... I hope it’s not corruption because I will get rid of you immediately,” he said.
“Final say would be the OP (Office of the President). Until now, I have not signed anything that will cede part of area there, the body of water to be converted into land,” the President added.
In January 2019, Duterte ordered the massive clean-up of Manila Bay to protect it from further contamination.
The President, in February last year, created the Manila Bay Task Force through Administrative Order 16 to expedite the rehabilitation and restoration of the coastal and marine ecosystem of the garbage-littered shoreline.
Quezon City started banning single-use plastics in hotels and restaurants. The city’s ordinance on the prohibition of single-use plastics that was approved in 2019 was implemented on Feb. 15 this year. “Restaurants and hotels are prohib...
Manila started rolling out its citizen ID cards powered by PayMaya to beneficiaries that include senior citizens, persons with disabilities (PWDs), and solo parents in the city, eliminating the need for them to line up at city hall to receive their a...
A 43-year-old Chinese businessman was injured after an unidentified gunman onboard a motorcycle shot him in his car along along Padre Burgos Avenue in Ermita, Manila on Feb. 23. Police identified the victim as Wenyan Shao, 43, businessman, a re...
The Philippine Navy's Naval Reserve Command (NRC) held its first-ever art exhibit. Navy public affairs chief, Lt. Commander Maria Christina Roxas said the event titled "Arts and Soldiers in the Reserve Force" was held at the NRC headqu...
Manila plans to build new halfway houses which will cater to cancer patients undergoing treatment. Manila City Health Officer Dr. Arnold Pangan said the construction of halfway houses is part of an integrated plan to strengthen the city's p...
It is important for Mayor Marcy Teodoro to prioritize the welfare and provide ease to Marikeños whenever they are making government transactions in the City Hall. For one, it is getting a marriage license at the Local Civil Registry office. M...