DOLE assures support for Star City workers
The Department of Labor of and Employment (DOLE) is making available emergency employment assistance to 500 affected workers of Star City which was engulfed by a fire earlier this week.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III noted that displaced workers will be provided jobs for two months under the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) program.
Based on initial reports submitted by OIC-Assistant Secretary Dominique Rubia-Tutay and the findings of the Quick Response Team (QRT) of the DOLE National Capital Region (NCR), some 500 employees were left on a ‘no work, no pay’ situation.
Most of the affected workers are said to be performing administrative work. The displacement may run for six months.
The report added that the Public Employment Service Office (PESO) of Pasay will conduct profiling and assessment on the displaced workers for potential alternative employment.
The assistance is similar to that provided to employees of the gutted NCCC Mall in Davao City last year, those affected by the eruption of Mayon Volcano also in 2018, and the six-month closure of Boracay Island.
TUPAD is an emergency employment program for displaced workers, underemployed, and seasonal workers.
On Wednesday, a fire broke out destroying 80 to 90 percent of the amusement park located in the reclaimed area of the Cultural Center of the Philippines Complex.
The facility which was established in 1991, is owned by Star Parks Corporation, a subsidiary of Elizalde Holdings Corporation.
Manila Electric Company (Meralco) said it is waiving the P47 convenience fee charged to customers paying electricity bill via its app amid the COVID-19 pandemic. “Waived na ‘yan (convenience fee), during this ECQ (enhanced community...
Pasay City has extended the extreme community quarantine (EXCQ) in Barangay 183 which recorded the most Covid-19 positive cases. The City Health Office reported seven confirmed cases in the territorial jurisdiction of Barangay 183. During the effec...